Thursday, October 14, 2010

craft apprenticeship, in depth learning.

John Grossbohlin sent the following article about apprenticeships at Colonial Williamsburg. Craft Apprenticeship in Historic Site Museums. The article brought to mind a conversation from earlier in the week with my 7th, 8th and 9th grade students. They were finishing one project and I invited them to work on their practice blocks for chip carving. The following is an example of the conversation that followed.
"I finished mine before."
"Did you get really good at it?" I asked,
"Oh, yeah. I did real good."
"Show me what you did and show me your technique."
"Oh, I think I'll start over. I need more practice. Will you show me how that one knife cut again?"
There is truth in doing real things, and the opportunity to learn in greater and even greater depth. "Been there, done that" is what you hear when you have only touched the surface of the subject, and is an obstacle to the development of skill.

Toysmith added suggested reading in a comment below on this subject, Mastery, the Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment, by George Leonard.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:50 PM

    This reminds me of George Leonard's book on Mastery. He identifies and describes four "styles" of learner: the Dabbler, the Hacker, the Obsessive, and the Master. It's a fun, short, to-the-point read - you and your readers might appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete